Learn more about those cute bubble skirts that just goes perfect with your sneakers. Find out how they came to be from history and the various types of Bubble Skirts.
- Bubble skirts, bubble skirts, bubble skirts! Everything you need to know about them.
- A complete guide into where they come from, materials used, how to style them, what they cost (cost-saving tips!), if they are in style, pros and cons, and where you can get your hands on one.
The bubble skirt, the tulip skirt, or the balloon skirt, whatever you decide to call it, one thing is for sure: it’ll make a statement no matter how you wear it! Owning hundreds of them in my closet would be quite an understatement; I feel like I should be an expert on bubble skirts by now. But what exactly is this marvelous creation?
In fashion, a bubble skirt is defined as a skirt designed to fit tightly at the waist and flare out at the bottom and sides, creating a balloon/bubble effect, hence the name. The way designers hem the skirt achieves a bubble-like appearance. Bubble skirts have a wide variety of colors and styles.
Having learned what they are, you’re probably curious to know all about them and where you can get your hands on one. From one fashion enthusiast to another, let us dive into the fantastic world of bubble skirts and all they have to offer.
From a self-proclaimed “bubble skirt expert,” Here is everything you need to know:
- Are Bubble Skirts in Style Or Fashion Today?
- Materials/fabrics used to make bubble skirts?
- Different Type Of Fabrics
- Materials needed
- Fabrics to line the skirt (lightweight & color coordinating is a must)
- What Are The Different Types of Bubble Skirts?
- How Can You Wear A Bubble Skirt?
- What Are The Pros And Cons Of Bubble Skirts?
- Bubble skirts: The History Behind Them
- How Much Do Bubble Skirts Generally Cost?
- Where Can You Buy A Bubble Skirt?
Are Bubble Skirts in Style Or Fashion Today?
Some of the top designers, such as Simone Rocha and Rei Kawakubo, are adding the bubble skirt to their collections; they seem to be all the rage at the moment. Gone are the days where simple skirt styles excite our wardrobe because the bubble skirt is back, bigger and better than ever, literally and figuratively!
Bubble skirts have caught the eye of top modern-day fashion icons from Millie Bobbie Brown, Lily Collins, and even Celine Dion celebs rocking and loving the look. It is clear this item is shared and loved by all generations. Louis Vuitton inspired this because of the fashion giants 2020 Cruise Collection. A wise lady once said, “the only man I need in my life is Louis Vuitton!”. He is of a high standard, creative, and one thing we know for sure is he’ll never leave us for someone else!
The bubble skirt seems impossible to resist, but will you be rocking it with us too?
Materials/fabrics used to make bubble skirts?
This fantastic bubble skirt is perfect because you can use so many different fabrics to create whatever look you desire with it; there’s so much to love about them! If you plan to make bubble skirts or buy one, this will give you some insight into what they use. Below are some examples of what materials/fabrics you would need to make a bubble skirt.
So, get your sewing machines out and get your tape measures ready because here they are:
Different Type Of Fabrics
- Crepe–Back Satin
- Tape Measure
- Wideband elastic for the waistline
- Sew the fabric above the elastic for the waistline.
- Sewing machine/needle and thread
- Large safety pin
Fabrics to line the skirt (lightweight & color coordinating is a must)
- Acetate Lining
- Silk habotai(also known as china silk)
- Lightweight rayon/poly
- Cotton Batiste
What Are The Different Types of Bubble Skirts?
I find it amazing how one clothing item can have so many variations. You can choose from a wide array of skirts, regardless of the length or the style. The choice is entirely yours because the possibilities are endless! Here is a list of seven different types of bubble skirts featuring photos that you can view:
How Can You Wear A Bubble Skirt?
The beauty of the bubble skirt is that you can customize it to your style with many types and varieties. No matter what season you are in, you can constantly personalize it. It’s entirely up to you, but please go ahead and add tights, gloves, scarves, hats, or socks to meet any of your seasonal requirements/needs. Whether it’s Christmas time or Independence Day, your bubble skirt will always be there for you!
Show off your look and get dressed up because here are some ideas you can use to style your bubble skirt:
Matching prints with a plain heel so that the patterns can make a POP!
- Put together a simple black shirt with a floral high-waisted bubble skirt and matching color statement necklace. Ballet flats are cute and comfy to wear with this look.
- A linen bubble skirt with a high heel boot, a blouse, and a choker/necklace is always a classy choice.
- A Madonna-style bustier (or any tight-fitting type top) with a color-coordinating bubble skirt and any shoe of yours will go well for that edgy look.
- Velvet on velvet! What a fantastic combination, especially for bubble skirts. Whatever color you decide to wear, one thing for sure is that you will always make a statement.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Bubble Skirts?
As with everything in life, bubble skirts have their pros and cons. Listed below are some of the most common ones:
- There’s nothing quite like them; they’re so unique and unusual.
- You can style bubble skirts in a variety of different ways.
- The options to choose from are endless.
- Age is just a number! They are a staple of every generation worn and loved by all.
- They give your legs the illusion of being longer than what they are (All us short girl’s dream!)
- Bubbles skirts spice up any outfit, perfect for fashionistas!
- They aren’t everyone’s cup of tea.
- When you’re packing for a trip, they can take up a lot of space.
- Designers describe the skirt as ‘structurally challenging.’
In the end, the pros far outweigh the cons.
Bubble skirts: The History Behind Them
Bubble skirts date back to the mid-1950s between 1954 and 1957, so they’re older than Legos, skateboards, and American Express cards. Invented by designers Pierre Cardin and Christian Dior, their creations were a result of French fashion geniuses. From there, it all went global and quickly became a hit, and voilà! The beautiful bubble skirt is here!
In the 1980s, Christian La Croix revived the bubble skirt, which made a BOOM in the fashion world, which continued into the early 90s. Some of the most famous style icons jumped on the trend, including Madonna, Princess Diana, Jayne Seymour, and Christy Turlington. Voluminous hair and skirts, what a time to be alive!
The bubble skirt made a significant comeback in 2005; they were everywhere. The actress Sarah Michelle Gellar got caught wearing one, reviving their popularity. As soon as A-lister Paris Hilton had a photograph wearing one too, you knew they were “hot.” Major stars continued to embrace the bubble skirt trend throughout the early 00s.
Thanks to designers championing them on the runway since 2019 and celebs sporting them on the red carpet, social media, and in the street, bubble skirts are back and are everywhere you look, and they’re only going to get bigger and better.
It’s your turn to now be embracing the trend!
How Much Do Bubble Skirts Generally Cost?
Shopping is a hobby that can quickly get me lost in clothing stores or on the computer during online shopping. My eyes are attracted to the best deals and pricing available. Since I love and own so many different bubble skirts, people often ask how much they cost me.
The digital age has brought everything to our fingertips when shopping. It’s a lifesaver! I use it, and you should too because you can pick out the best price for every item. Avoid the queue and online shop.
A bubble skirt can cost anywhere between $3 and $3000 online, and it varies by brand and retailer. Remember that sales like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, as well as the end of the season, are great opportunities for you to get your hands on bubble skirts for a reasonable price.
Where Can You Buy A Bubble Skirt?
So now that you have seen everything there is to know about bubble skirts, perhaps you wonder: Where can I buy these? Don’t worry; I have got plenty of options for you that are conveniently available for you online. Get ready to fill your carts with bubble skirts because these are some places you can find them:
- The Real Real
Fellow fashionista, go and shop until you drop!